Utilities Maintenance Technician
Company: City of Odessa
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Utilities Maintenance Technician
Application Deadline: April 29, 2021 at 11:59PM
Summary: Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor,
maintain mechanical, piping and structural system and components at
the Bob Derrington Water Reclamation Plant, Water Treatment Plant
and associated off-site facilities. Perform other duties as
Scope of Responsibility: Ability to work independently, with
other personnel or under supervision to maintain assigned
Essential Functions: -- Essential functions, as defined under
the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the
following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not
a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by
incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which
are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as
required. The job description does not constitute an employment
agreement and is subject to change at any time by the employer.
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not
limited to, the following:
- Troubleshoot and repair plant and off-site facility process
equipment, including but not limited to such activities as
disassembly of mechanic components, cleaning, repair and
reassemble, installation and repair of piping and related systems
and fabrication and repair of various structural components.
- Clean basins by washing down or other means.
- Enter and inspect various basins and reservoirs with some being
- Complete all necessary work orders and related paperwork.
- Ensure all tools are maintained in good working order.
- Respond to emergency situations.
- Work with and in proximity to dangerous chemicals such as
- Work with maintenance supervisor to determine optimal ways to
- Trains new employees.
- Apprise supervisor(s) of condition of mechanical plant or
equipment when there is a problem and help work to resolve it.
- Supports the departmental operations with regular and timely
- Must have and maintain a cell phone for City use to hold this
- Supports the relationship between the City of Odessa and the
general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior
when interacting with visitors and City staff; maintains
confidentiality of work-related issues and City information;
performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Help keep inventory of equipment, also helps place orders to
- Report any issues or concerns with equipment and/or tools.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Must possess general plant maintenance experience with
mechanical components such as pumps, drive trains, bearing
assemblies, chemical feed systems and equipment, piping systems and
miscellaneous structural component repair.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, write, understand and follow oral and written
- Possess thorough knowledge of and ability to follow safety
procedures and use safety equipment, including self-contained
- Possess good working knowledge of equipment found in the City's
water and wastewater plants or similar operations.
- Be physically able to perform laboring tasks under varying
- Ability to work in confined and elevated spaces.
- Must be skilled in the use of typical hand and power tools used
in the mechanical repair field such as wrenches, drills, saws, and
- Ability to use large construction such as small carry-deck
crane, jackhammer, skid loader, and other power equipment.
- Ability to drive mid-size trucks.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans.
- Must be physically capable to climb water towers.
Special Requirements: Available for 24-hour call.
Safety Requirement: Position requires that City approved safety
shoes be worn.
License and certification requirements: Possess a valid Texas
A-CDL Driver License or ability to obtain within 6 months of
Keywords: City of Odessa, Midland , Utilities Maintenance Technician, Other , Odessa, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!